Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

Animal sightings:
- Saw two snakes in the water while canoeing. One was hiding underneath a lily pad, and Mae noticed it while furiously washing her hands off after grabbing onto some poison ivy. She pointed it out to me shortly before I ran into some overhanging poison ivy with my face. With the help of a lot of antibacterial wipes that I got in my Christmas stocking last year, we both escaped without long-term consequences. The snake was never identified because we were both a little bit distracted. Saw another snake with a fish in its mouth. Took like 30 identical pictures of it.

- Many angry ospreys. Some carrying fish.

- Lots of herons, mostly flying overhead. No heron babies, sadly.

- Tree swallow living in Wood Duck box. Poked his head out and stared at us for a very long time.

- Dogs barking (overheard, all night long).

- Barred owl (heard going 'hoo hoo hooHOOOOO. hoo hoo hooHOOOO." so cool!)

Saw a minivan with kayaks driving the wrong way down the CADT (which was closed that day). Almost had a car chase, but didn't. Turned out to be the Patuxent River Keeper who can pretty much do whatever he wants, as far as we're concerned. The only reason I am mentioning this is because my friends started calling him the Trapper Keeper, and I thought that was hilarious.

Later, heard a bunch of teenagers walking down the CADT near our campsite.

No comments: